Search This Blog

Sunday 8 June 2008

SILENCE ON SWAZI CHILD STERILISATION

I’m still waiting for a response from Skillshare about its proposal that Swazi children of ‘unsound mind’ should be sterilised to stop them from breeding.

I sent Skillshare a copy of the blogpost on Monday (2 June 2008) in which I criticised its representative Linda Kanya for writing the comments in the Times Sunday, so there is no reason for them to deny knowledge of the controversy.

Meanwhile a blogsite reader Chris Lowe has responded to my original post.

‘This is indeed appalling. In the United States I believe that sterilization laws persisted after World War II in a number of states. And of course eugenics, of which this is a species, had many self-identified progressive proponents before Nazism put it in bad odor, including Gunnar and Alva Myrdal, Margaret Sanger, and the first president of the small liberal arts college in the U.S. where I was an undergraduate (for some fairly random examples). It is bizarre and disturbing to see this recrudescence. In the U.S. there were strong racial and ethnic elements to the actual practice of sterilization -- I wonder if Skillshare advocates the same policies in the UK.’

When – or do I mean if – Skillshare responds, I’ll let you know.

See also
CALL TO STERILISE SWAZI CHILDREN

First published 5 June 2008.

No comments: